UlcerGard™ Oral Paste (Merial)
Prevent equine ulcers with Merial UlcerGard™. Intended for use in healthy horses, it is designed for daily administration in horses exposed to stressful conditions, which may include training, racing, showing, traveling, stall confinement and competition.
If you notice any signs of illness prior to or during the use of this product, consult your veterinarian for appropriate diagnosis and treatment recommendations. UlcerGard™ may be used in horses that weigh at least 600 lbs. The effectiveness in the prevention of stomach ulcers in foals and weanlings has not been evaluated. May be used safely in breeding stallions. Safety in pregnant mares has not been determined.
Intended for use only in the prevention of stomach ulcers in healthy horses. Clinical signs of stomach ulcers may include decreased appetite, recurrent colic, intermittent loose stools or diarrhea, poor hair coat, poor body condition or poor performance. These signs may also be associated with other diseases as well as existing stomach ulcers. If your horse is exhibiting one or more of these signs, consult your veterinarian for diagnosis and treatment.
Contents: 1 Syringe (4 doses)
Stomach ulcers can occur in as little as 5 days, even in recreational horses. UlcerGard™ can be used during periods of stress to help prevent equine stomach ulcers:
- During training and competition
- When trailering and travel
- During confinement or lay-up due to sickness or injury
- When turnout or grazing is limited
- During social regrouping or other barn routine changes
- When weaning
- During other times of stress
UlcerGard™ contains specially formulated omeprazole that blocks acid production at its source, the acid pump. And one dose lasts 24 hours, making it easy to administer, even at shows.
In addition to providing UlcerGard™ during times of stress, you can help reduce the risk of stomach ulcers for your horse by increasing grazing time, providing free access to hay and feeding grain in multiple, small meals. Feeding alfalfa is also recommended for its buffering action. While some nutritional supplements may also support digestive health, make sure they are from a trusted source and are backed by independent research.
You can get UlcerGard™ through your veterinarian without a prescription. Each tube contains four daily doses for horses weighing 600 to 1,200 lbs
- Under 600 lbs: Consult your veterinarian
- 600 - 1,200 lbs: 1 dose/day
- Over 1,200 lbs: 2 doses/day
The minimum recommended dosage is 1 mg/kg per day (0.45 mg/lb) or 1/4 syringe. When given once daily during the stressful period, UlcerGard™ has been shown to effectively prevent stomach ulcers in horses. This effect was tested in horses exposed to stressful conditions for either 8 or 28 days.
- Before administering, make sure the horse's mouth contains no feed
- Remove the cover from the tip of the syringe, and insert the syringe into the horse's mouth at the interdental space
- Depress the plunger until stopped by the knurled ring
- The dose should be deposited on the back of the tongue or deep into the cheek pouch
- Replace the syringe cap after use; remaining paste may be reused on following days until emptied
Care should be taken to ensure that the horse consumes the complete dose. Treated animals should be observed briefly after administration to ensure that part of the dose is not lost or rejected. If any of the dose is lost, re-dosing is recommended.