Throw & Gro™ No-Till Forage
Throw & Gro™ No-Till Forage is a sweet and fast-growing forage seed for those hard-to-reach areas. Easy to plant, it can be planted without discing so it can be planted without heavy equipment. It contains forage tetraploid ryegrass, which produces a higher quality forage with more protein and sugar content than any other ryegrass.
Forage clover gives your herd a reliable source of protein. Brassica delivers the highest levels of protein (up to 38%) and mineral content of any annual forage. Once matured, they begin fixing more sugars in their leaves really begin to attract deer.
Contents: Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass, Forage Rape, Berseem Clover
- 5 lbs. (covers 1/4 of an acre or 11,000 sq. ft.)
Throw & Gro™ can be planted in spring or fall.
Seeds in Throw & Gro™:
- Forage Tetraploid Ryegrass: Tetraploid rye-grass produces a higher quality forage with more protein and sugar content than any other ryegrass. We have selected only the best tetraploid ryegrass varieties so that you will have larger, more palatable plants that will continue to vigorously grow to provide a more nutritious food plot for your deer.
- Forage Clovers: The best of the fast growing forage clovers have been selected to give your herd a reliable source of nutrition. These annual clovers grow more quickly than other clovers and have the potential to grow well over 24" in height, providing your deer herd with tons of palatable forage. The consistently high level of protein (up to 35%) and mineral content make it a forage that deer need and prefer.
- Forage Rape Brassica: The best yielding New Zealand forage rape brassica delivers the highest levels of protein and mineral content of any annual forage available on the market today, providing up to 38% protein. This forage rape has been adapted to an extremely wide range of soils and weather conditions and will provide abundant large-leaf forage into the winter months. Average mature plant height is 24" tall. Once mature, they begin fixing more sugars in their leaves and become a huge attractant to deer.
Follow these 5 easy steps for best results when planting Throw & Gro™ in a NO-TILL application:
- Select a Plot Area: Look for a level area that gets at least a half day of sunlight. An area in the woods that was recently cleared or an abandoned field are perfect for Throw & Gro™ no-till applications.
- Ground Preparation: Remove weed competition and leaves by raking, spraying or mowing. It is still important to give the seeds in Throw & Gro as much help as possible to reach bare ground. Contact with the ground is required for any seed to grow.
- Fertilize & Lime: A soil test can be used to determine exact fertilizer and lime needed. If a soil test cannot be performed, use the following recommendations:
- a. 300 pounds of 13-13-13 fertilizer per acre or equivalent.
- b. 2,000 pounds of lime per acre or two gallons of Gain per acre in areas where soil is known to be acidic.
- Broadcast Seeds: Spread the seeds evenly over the prepared area at the rate of 20 pounds per acre. If the ground has not been broken with machinery, dragging the plot with fencing will help ensure ground contact with the seed.
- Maintenance: When the plot grows to 3" tall, fertilize again with up to 40 pounds of ammonium nitrate per acre or equivalent. This will help establish your plot, but only use when the ground is moist to reduce the chances of burning. You can repeat this step again to push your plot to keep producing forage faster as the deer begin to forage heavily on the plot.
Planting with Heavy Equipment: The plants in Throw & Gro™, like all other plants, will produce more abundantly when planted in a properly prepared seed bed; therefore, whenever possible follow these planting Instructions.
- Fertilizer Requirements: A soil test should be performed prior to planting to determine your plots need for fertilizer and lime. If a soil test cannot be done, we recommend preparing the seed bed by applying up to 300 pounds of 13-13-13 fertilizer or equivalent per acre
- pH of Soil & Liming: The recommended soil pH is 6.0 - 7.5. A soil test should be performed prior to planting to determine your soil pH and the need for lime and fertilizer. If a soil test cannot be done, we recommend preparing the seed bed by applying up to 2,000 pounds of lime per acre or use two gallons of pH Gain per acre
Soil Preparation: Cultivate the soil 4" - 6" deep to remove competing weeds, and add fertilizer and lime as recommended. After cultivating, it is important to level and pack the soil before seeding the plot. Lightly pack the soil by running over your food plot with an ATV or a roller.
Planting Depth: Throw & Gro™ contains small seeds that do not need to be covered. We recommend broadcasting the seed and then rolling the seed into the seed bed by running over your food plot with an ATV or a roller. Never cover the seeds with more than 3/16" of dirt.
Moisture: Soil moisture is vital to the plants being able to establish themselves. The soil should be moist when planting, with a reasonable expectation of future rainfall. If adequate moisture is not available for an extended period after planting, the plot may fail to establish properly.